Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Revival

I am writing this to sort out my thoughts and feelings about my role in the Kingdom of God. First, I want to be clear with myself: Living for Christ is not about me, it IS about doing God’s will (Matt. 7:21-23). Paul’s assessment of himself and his role before God was apparent to him (Gal. 2:20; Acts 26:16-18). He knew he was an apostle to the gentiles (Gal. 1:1).

My calling is clear to me: I am an evangelist. I was called of God to preach to the lost and bring them to salvation. Whether I am used to share the message or God uses someone else, it thrills me, like nothing else, to see a lost person baptized into Christ. On the other hand, it disheartens me to see many opportunities to share the gospel pass Christians by. This is not a recent “urge,” or a passing emotion – this is in my DNA as a child of God. Everywhere I have ministered God has blessed with many baptisms. In Cabot, AR in 1972 there were sixteen baptisms in a six week period as I caught the vision and burden Paul wrote about in Romans 9:1-4a and Romans 10:1. In Davenport, IA over 200 were baptized in two and one-half years; in Tavares, FL 28 were baptized in four months; in Little Rock there was an average of 40 per year baptized, and now at River City Ministry this year 30 have been baptized; last year over 70. In almost ALL of the many conversions I note here, someone besides me studied with and baptized the folks. Again, this is not about me!

For several years (1982-2003), my evangelistic spirit was numb (dead). I attribute this to several things: the difficulty of working with a divided church, the pressure placed on our family as my youngest son began to use drugs and a daughter chose to worship at a congregation other than the one we were with, and finally my resignation from preaching. All of these things were major distractions. Of course the real source of discouragement was Satan (Eph. 6:12).

Then, my youngest son’s conversion at age 22 was a tremendous source of revival to my spirit. If I died today I would do so praising God for what he has done in my family, with my children and their walk with Him. I say, “Amen,” to John’s statement in 3 John 4, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”

When Wes decided to come to Harding and attend the HSBS Program I was encouraged even more. To find out that he was going to join a team of students and go to California (taking him far away from his mom and dad) I could only praise God! I know there will be other obstacles along lifes way, but right now I am excited about trying to live up to my calling by equipping others to share Jesus while I do the same.

No comments: